June 27, 2012

A few updates!

Pin It! 

It's been over 2 months since I did all that hard work in my kitchen!  I still love my color choices and the cabinets and everything is looking great still.  I do have to wipe down the cabinets every few weeks to keep them from looking gross, but honestly everyone should be doing that because if you don't have white cabinets, the grossness is there but you can see it!  Lesson learned from cleaning these cabinets before I painted them, they were covered...COVERED...in grime that we never wipe off.  Yuck!

When last I posted about the kitchen, it looked like this....


You can see that I hadn't installed the two small cabs above the fridge yet, and you can see the really awful, hideous florescent lamp situation that begged to be changed.

Fast forward 2 months and I really hadn't gotten to any of that yet.  The last weeks of school were so hectic, with all the activities and planning/hosting a Career Day and all that jazz.  Home stuff, including DIY, blogging and heck, even cleaning, was put on the back burner.  Come to think of it, I've been "out" of school for 2 weeks and all that stuff was still on that burner, I've been so busy!


See?  Still nothing up there.  So I decided I needed to just bite the bullet and do it!  The cabinets were already painted, I just needed to install them.  The light fixture...well I was scared of that part.  I had never uninstalled a florescent light before, so it was an unknown anomaly.  It wasn't so bad.  Honestly, I forgot to take pictures of Dave & I taking it down and putting the new one up!  Here it is all installed, and the ceiling is halfway painted around i (there was a ugly light shaped piece of ceiling, ew)


The fixture is from Lowes, I paid about $60 for it.  It's ORB around the rim and on the nip.  Oh right...Dave & I lovingly call fixtures like this "boob lamps" because really...they look like big boob, right?  Anyways, it was the best choice for our small kitchen.  We have the chandelier hanging in the dining room about 7 feet away so another dangling option would've been way too much.  We loved this one!

The fire lit under my butt to get stuff done took about a week, with buying the light, installing it, and putting up the cabinets.  Now, however, it's all done.  Here are the small cab doors installed...don't mind the messy kitchen.  I still have to clean this house from top to bottom.  It's so dirty.  I've had no time!!  Well, I have had some time but I chose to use it elsewhere;)  Can someone say "Tinas-brother-has-a-pool?"


Here is the kitchen from afar with the light fixture and the cab doors installed.  Sorry about the dark pic, I'm still learning the best way to take pictures of bright light with my camera...


The pics with the light on tend to look like this:


Glare-a-riffic!!  I'll acquaint myself with the ways of a fancy came;)

We've had fun taking some great pics though, see??

 Ash & Dave on a walk...
 Ash took this at my parents, pretty flower!
 Our sweet little townhouse at Not So Bland...
 Our "why-are-you-doing-this-to-me" Frodo-kitty...
A teenager-like pic taken in the bathroom of me and my new appendage.  Seriously, I have the camera in my hands about 88% of the time now!

So that is what's happening around our home lately.  I have tons of projects planned for the summer, which I'll post up in a day or so.  Who knows if those projects will get done though, we have our Europe trip coming up in 2 weeks and that is taking up a lot of my time prepping and planning and packing:)

Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my {not so BLAND life} please leave a comment and let me know what you think, or what you are working on, or what you read, or what you are cooking...or anything! Thanks friend!