March 7, 2012

What a show!

Pin It!

This past weekend Dave & I went to the MD Home & Garden Show and it was really cool!!  My fave part was definitely the garden parts!  The theme this year was around books, so the creators of the garden built them around a certain book.  Which, you know, just gets me all excited.  I mean, when I walk into Barnes & Noble I jump up and down like a little girl at the site of books!  Ha!  Here are some of the cool things we saw:

This was a Hobbit themed garden, they built "BagEnd" and everything!  I took pictures of the flowers but they didn't turn out well.  My camera died (dumb camera!) and I had to use my IPhone which isn't the best camera in the world, at least not the 4 (not the new one) anyways this was Dave's favorite garden!  He mostly just held my hand and enjoyed that I was having a good time, poor guy!  We did have a great day together though.  This was way cool though, even he had to admit!


Then we stumbled upon Dorothy, you can see the pretty purple flowers behind us posing together for the pic!  They had poppies and yellow flowers, again my camera didn't take a great pic...


You can see they used a yellow brick for the garden path, how cute!  Plus, what is the Wizard of OZ without the ruby slippers?  Poor Wicked Witch of the East!


Then, we came upon this one, in honor of Dr Seuss's bday - The Lorax!  This garden was so sweet!


See the purple and orange plants that look like the Lorax??  How did they do that!!?  I want to plant 100 of these in my tiny townhouse yard, do you think the neighbors will mind??



Then...the creme de le cream....





.................



.........



....................................



.......are you in suspense?




......you should be!!!!



......this is the BEST part.....







If you know me at all, you can imagine my reaction!


If you don't know me, well I looked like a freak, jumping up and down and screaming, "ITS MY FAVORITE!!!"...

again with the blurry pics...


The garden was amazing, the castle was so cool, the water, there was a Hagrid's Hut and a sorting hat and all!  Siiiiiiiiiiiiigh, next time my camera will be charged.  Or, I'll have a new fancy camera!

After the build up of the HP garden, the rest of the show was pretty laid back.  There were a lot (A LOT) of reno home companies.  People who do kitchens and bathrooms, and what not.  To them I thought..."Eh, I can do all of that myself, so I am not interested!"  Well, I actually cant DO all of that myself, I'm not an expert or anything, but I can TRY and LEARN to do all those things. 

There were not a lot of showcase rooms either, at least not for the home reno stuff.  That part was a little disappointing, I wanted to see some amazing kitchens and bathrooms, not refitted junk. 

There were a lot of really great vendors selling home & garden decor, and I particularly liked these guys...


Garden owls!!  Made of rocks!!  So cute!!  I wanted to buy but then thought that maybe I could make one of these myself?  I'm not sure how...I'll get back to you on that.  This was such a cool table, it was a stone mason's set up and the "backyard" he made was so amazing and beautiful it almost hurt.  This was solid stone, built I don't know how, it's a permanent table so I am not sure how they will get it out of here?  Probably break it?  I loved it, I want a huge house and big backyard so I can have it and throw lovely dinner parties like Giada D;)



One part of the show really got Dave all hot and bothered, in a good-not-creepy way...



There were tons and tons of hot tubs.  I kind of felt like that should have put a cap on the amount of hot tubs there?  So much room taken up where other cool things could have been, like more amazing kitchens or bathrooms I would have died for...instead there were huge hot tubs and mattresses like a warehouse.

I sound bratty, I am sorry.  The show was really cool - I think I built it up in my head like it was going to be a model home or something.  That is not how home and garden shows are.  There were a lot of different people there that do a lot of cool stuff for the home, but since my mom taught me how to be a DIY girl, it didn't interest me enough.  If you are interested in paying people to do things, like decks or refitting bathrooms or siding or roofing jobs, this was a great place to make contacts!  I really did like, no LOVE, the garden part though.  That was awesome, and a great place to take kids too!

One really great thing about the show was that in the building next door, there was a big craft show.  There were so many great items, pictures and jewelry and food and it was awesome.  One big thing I wanted was some true "Baltimore" art to pay homage to the place we live.  Our basement is themed around Baltimore, mostly Ravens stuff, but I want to get some other Bmore stuff down there for some added pizazz!  Dave was kind enough to like me invest in this art, since it is the Man Cave!  He really liked this painting too, so it was a win-win.  The artist is a Baltimore native, Larry Stevens and his art is really beautiful!  There were so many great paintings, but we decided on this one...


So that was our adventure at the MD Home & Garden Show.  We did a little wine tasting at Boordy afterwards so all in all it was a very beautiful and fun Maryland day.  I really do love where we live!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my {not so BLAND life} please leave a comment and let me know what you think, or what you are working on, or what you read, or what you are cooking...or anything! Thanks friend!