April 6, 2011

Happiness Project! Be Healthy!

I know I know, about time!! 
                   

Well April is my "Be Healthy" month, and I am using the quote "everything in moderation" to help me through it.  I really want me, and my family, to be healthier as a whole.  We are trying to use greener, healthier products in our house, trying to be healthier with finances, healthier as a Christian, and of course - eat well and exercise.  Perfect timing for this, since the weather is becoming nicer and there a whole bunch of weddings coming up (one of which I am in, my brothers!) that I'd like to look nice for!

Everything in moderation is to help me stay motivating, not to give me the excuse to eat whatever I want, as long as its "in moderation'.  It is more for the exercising.  I really do love to exercise, but I'm so busy and so TIRED all the time (I know, exercising makes it better blah blah blah, but you don't know me...this body doesn't work that way!!!) that finding the motivation to work out above all the other stuff I do is hard.  Half the battle is getting my work out clothes and shoes on, and either getting out the door or on the treadmill!  So exercising in moderation looks like this: I need to walk for at least 10-15 minutes a day.  Ok - it doesn't sound like a lot, but a wise doctor told me to start out this way, and build from here.  If I tell myself I have to work out for a hour today....um, yeah, I'm not going to do that!  A whole hour?  When I have so much other stuff to do and I am so exhausted?  Not gonna happen!  But....10 or 15 minutes?  Anyone can spare that;) 

Anyways, for my Happiness Project, each month has a goal and there are about 8 resolutions to help reach that goal.  Here are my 8 resolutions for April: Be Healthy Month:
  1. Exercise every day for 10-15 minutes.  Walk, run, yoga.  Just do it!  AM exercise preferred...
  2. Choose fruit/veggies whenever possible.  W-H-E-N-E-V-E-R!
  3. Drink water.  Lots of it!
  4. Take Vitamin D.  I'm severely low all the time.  This does not help my inclined-to-be-tired body.
  5. Every night before bed have quiet time.  It helps the stress of the day melt away before I sleep.
  6. Get to bed every night by 11pm.  This is really, really hard.  But, I know it's ESSENTIAL for health.
  7. Keep a food journal everyday.  I hear this works wonders!
  8. Act as I want to feel! 
That last one is borrowed right from Gretchen herself (author of Happiness Project).  Act as I want to feel.  I want to have lots of energy, I want to be thinner and super healthy, so gosh darn it I'm going to act that way!  We will see if that helps;)

I'll let you know what works for me, and what doesn't.  I eat fairly healthy right now, we don't do a lot of fried or fast foods, but I could cut back on things...like putting mayo on sandwiches, or eating sugar without thinking about it, or choosing healthier snacks to put in my lunch, etc.  It's a long road, changing little habits here and there - but I'm sure it'll be worth it!  I just really want to be an all around "healthy" person.  But...I want to be able to eat a burger here and there w/o complaining about it and making everyone around me miserable because they are eating a burger, lol!  I loathe those who feel that they are "better" because they can say no over and over to a piece of cake?  Eat some cake darn it!  It won't kill you to eat it once a month at a birthday party!!  I don't want to be a skinny girl, just a healthy girl.  I think I can manage that.

Since it's already 10:18pm and I have to be in bed in 42 minutes, it's time to sign off!   Let me know what works for you in your quest to be healthy!  Is it easy?  Is it hard?  I'm all ears!

PS I'm halfway through Catching Fire, I'm once again obsessed with these Hunger Games books - but NO staying up all night for me this time, I'm being healthy;)

PPS I was at the DR today (as part of my launching this months goal) and when she asked about babies I said, "well, we don't really know - we go back and forth between saying we want them now, and wanting to wait a few years..."  Her reaction to this?  HAVE A BABY!!  She said we will never "be ready" so we should just have one now!  LOL - isn't that funny?  I've heard this before, but coming from a doctor - it feels like a perscription!  HA!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your goals! I plan on starting my Happiness Project in May..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my {not so BLAND life} please leave a comment and let me know what you think, or what you are working on, or what you read, or what you are cooking...or anything! Thanks friend!